The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act Explained


Apr 25, 2023

The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act Explained

Bridging the Gap: The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act for Kidney Failure Patients Under 65


The battle against kidney failure is an ongoing struggle for many Americans. Since 1972, Medicare has provided coverage for people with irreversible kidney failure, also known as End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), through the Medicare ESRD Benefit. Although this program has been helpful, it still leaves ESRD patients under 65 years old with significant out-of-pocket expenses. The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act (H.R. 1676) aims to address this issue by extending Medigap coverage to all ESRD beneficiaries, regardless of age.

The Current Situation

Medicare covers 80% of the cost of Part B services for ESRD patients, such as dialysis treatments and immunosuppressant drugs. However, beneficiaries are responsible for the remaining 20% coinsurance, copays, and deductibles. To help with these costs, many patients turn to supplemental insurance called Medigap. Unfortunately, federal law does not require insurance companies to sell Medigap plans to Medicare beneficiaries under 65 years old, leaving many ESRD patients without the option for supplemental coverage.

The Problem in Various States

Four states – Arizona, Nevada, Ohio, and Kentucky – have not enacted provisions to ensure access to supplemental coverage for Medicare beneficiaries under 65. Furthermore, 13 states and Washington D.C. do not require insurers to offer plans to Medicare beneficiaries under 65, although some coverage may be available through high-risk pools or voluntary offerings from insurance companies. This lack of uniform access to Medigap insurance is a significant barrier for patients with ESRD.

The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act

In response to this issue, Reps. Cindy Axne (D-IA) and Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-WA) introduced The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act (H.R. 1676). This legislation would require insurers that offer Medigap policies to make them equally available to all Medicare beneficiaries under 65, including those with ESRD. By allowing ESRD patients under 65 to purchase privately offered Medigap supplemental plans covering kidney treatments, the act aims to reduce out-of-pocket expenditures for those affected by kidney failure.

Show Your Support

If you would like to show your support, contact your representative and let them know that you support the Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act. You can find your local representative here.


The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act is a crucial step toward ensuring equal access to Medigap insurance for all Medicare-eligible patients, regardless of age, disability, or ESRD status. By supporting this legislation, we can help reduce the financial burden on those struggling with kidney failure and improve their quality of life.

Related Articles

What is Dialysis?

What Do Your Kidneys Do?


Medigap Coverage for Kidney Failure The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act (H.R. 1676)

H.R.1676 - Jack Reynolds Memory Medigap Expansion Act

About the Author

Rich Foreman brings over 30 years of technology leadership to his role of CEO and Co-Founder of KidneySoft.  As founding CTO, Rich led the team that developed the CordicoShield / CordicoFire Wellness App. Cordico was honored with the Sacramento Innovation Award in 2021. After achieving a 7 digit ARR, Cordico was acquired by Lexipol in 2020. Rich has a BS in Industrial Engineering from the University of Washington, an MPA from Troy State University and was an officer in the U.S. Navy. Rich co-authored his book, "Tap into the Mobile Economy." Rich's blog was listed in Top 20 Marketing Mobile Blogs of 2014. He has been featured on KCRA3, NEWS10, 1170 Tech AM PowerDrive, Business Radio Money 105.5, SiliconIndia, the Sacramento Business Journal, and the Sacramento Bee. Rich is also the Founding Director of the Sacramento Chapter of Startup Grind and served a term as Utility Commissioner for the City of Folsom. Rich is a regular contributor to and StartupSac. Rich was the Co-founder of Apptology which was named Small Business of the Year in 2014 by the Sacramento Asian Pacific Chamber. He was also the Founding Chief Technology Officer at Cordico. Cordico was acquired by Lexipol in 2020.  Rich also served 4 years as a Naval Officer in the Civil Engineer Corps.

Patient Education Disclaimer

This material is for informational purposes only. It does not replace the advice or counsel of a doctor or health care professional. KidneyLuv makes every effort to provide information that is accurate and timely, but makes no guarantee in this regard. You should consult with, and rely only on the advice of, your physician or health care professional.

KidneyLuv Logo